View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
barbsironbutt
Bungee Rancher

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I thought it would be a good idea to have inmates post up some road food recipes. Please note that Mountain House and Cliff bars do not constitute recipes.

After a long time camping outdoors, I've that a diet of freeze dried food and and oatmeal packets rarely satisfies. Eating at restaurants is too pricey in many areas. I'm not focusing on zero-prep meals, but ones that can be prepared quickly with minimal hassle.

I recently found several sources for bulk dehydrated/freeze dried ingredients from companies specializing in long-term food storage and emergency preparedness. I'm using ingredients for Auguson Farms out of Salt Lake City here. Auguson packages a number of their products in what they call "everyday size cans." These are slightly smaller than a 12 oz coffee can. It's a good way to try stuff. The smaller cans are reasonably priced. http://www.augasonfarms.com/

Here's a nice recipe:

Road Potato Pancakes

Potato pancakes are a big part of my childhood. Both my mother and grandmother would cook them often. They would shred potatoes and chop onions by hand, and fry them in an iron skillet that was passed down from my great-grandmother. It was quite a production. While I've tried some commercially available mixes, they tend to be made of potato flour and lack the crispiness and mouth feel of the ones I'm accustomed to. These are not Grandma's, but they are good, hearty, and reasonably easy to prepare.

Dry ingredients:

1/2 cup shredded dehydrated potatoes
2 tbsp dehydrated onion
1/2 cup "potato gems" mashed potato mix
4 tbsp scrambled egg mix
garlic powder
salt
pepper

Optional:

2 tbsp bacon bits

Sour Cream

1 1/2 cup boiling water

Vegetable oil or cooking spray.

Mix all dry ingredients together and blend thoroughly, seasoning to your taste. Pack in the container of your choice. No special handling is needed for this. It will travel pretty well in a heavy zip-loc bag.

At the camp site, place all ingredients in a bowl or similar container. Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water and mix thoroughly. Let stand for appoximately 20 minutes to rehydrate.

Fry until golden brown on both sides in a skillet with either vegetable oil (better flavor) or cooking spray (easier, and less messy.)

Makes about six good-sized pancakes, which is enough for two people for breakfast or one person as a hearty dinner.

These are traditionally served with sour cream.

As made, the recipe is vegetarian-friendly for those who consume milk and egg products (without the bacon, of course.)

Looks like a Rendezvous breakfast to me!