View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Thanks for starting this thread.

I have a large trip planned for next year, and am looking for new ideas in (vegan) camp cooking.
I lived with a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 15 years. It was often hard finding vegetarian food on the road in out-of-the way places. Being vegan adds an additional challenge. On one memorable trip, which lasted for several months, we survived largely on beans and rice, cornbread, and tea. (We were broke at the time, which went a long way toward keeping the diet meat-free.)

There's some good stuff to be had for the grazer from the above suppliers. They both have a range of dehydrated potato products. They offer a wide range of either dehydrated or freeze-dried fruits and vegetables, and two types of quick-cooking beans which are animal-product free. The prices are significantly better than I can find at specialty stores, and shipping is reasonable. BJ's Wholesale Club stocks the Augason products in units of six cans.

Augason Farms has a product called "vegetable stew blend" which really looks promising. It's a blend of dehydrated, diced veggies and nothing else. Strangely enough, the TVP "meat substitutes" are vegetarian, and appear to qualify as vegan. As people have different standards for this, I suggest they do their own research.

If you're into baking your own bread, both companies offer a range of specialty flours for very good prices. Augason offers a range of gluten-free baking products that is comprehensive and often difficult to source locally.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 06:49 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote