Thread: The Way South
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #47
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Sierra Gorda

Had a great ride with Miguelito over to the Sierra Gorda today. It is the mountain range to the east of San Miguel de Allende. If you are planning a trip out that way I would recommend an overnight so that you can really do it justice. It was kind of a smoky/hazy day and we were moving pretty quickly so no photos. We went through some great little towns along the way and positive signs of prosperity are everywhere. One really needs to get away from the borders and tourist destinations to see and appreciate the "real" Mexico. I will update with some route #'s and town names when I can sit down with map and cup of coffee manana. I am not a big fan of "corporate coffee" but there is a "corporate coffee" store here in SMA that has comfortable seating, predictable coffee, and a very good, fast Internet connection for foto uploads. It is located right on a corner of "The Jardin". Across the Jardin from the chain store is a place called La Terraza. They make a decent cappuccino and it is a great place to sit and watch the buzz of the Jardin. It also has a good Internet connection. It is right next to La Parroquia which is said to be the most photographed church in Mexico. It is a fanciful structure that is reminiscent of Neuschwanstein, King Ludwig's castle in Bavaria, that was the model for the Disney castle.
Outside of SMA, on the road to Dolores Hidalgo, the birthplace of the Mexican Revolution are several hot springs. I went to Escondido Place. It is a clean, very well kept place with changing rooms, rest rooms, snack bar, and numerous pools inside and out with varying temperatures. There is even a very nice lap pool. The water seems to be constantly flowing and changing. At this holiday season there are lots of Mexican families there. There were some lockers but I felt no need to investigate or use them. My friend and I, and everyone else just hung or stacked there stuff outside of the baths. I have been to public places like this in the states that were infested with filthy, thieving, pot smoking hippies that did not feel nearly as safe