View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
trailrider383 OP
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,063
How Should I Insulate My Pole Barn Ceiling?

Winter is finally here and I need a project to relieve the boredom. I have a 30 x 40 pole barn with nothing on the ceiling for insulation. I need help on figuring out the proper way to insulate it.

I have read about different ways to do it and I can't make up my mind what to do. I would prefer something easy to install. I am thinking about some kind of foam board. But then I start reading about vapor barriers, etc. I don't need a real high R value, just something to keep it a little cooler in the summer and to hold the heat in a little longer in the winter when I fire up the 110,000 btu space heater (kerosene torpedo heater.)

What I do now is go out and crack a window and fire up the space heater for 10 or 15 minutes til the temp comes up to around 50 and shut it off til I get cold. Sometimes I will let it run and cycle off the thermostat if I'm going to be out there a long time. But not usually, because it is so loud. One thing you should know if you haven't used one of these heaters is they introduce a lot of moisture into the air which then condenses on the metal roof and drips.

This is what I have to work with: