View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #72395
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkscism View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the forum here and new to Dual sport(ing)--can I use that as a verb? Anyways for a brief introduction I'm a nineteen year old college student in Clemson, SC. I' have never ridden street before but I raced MX for most of my childhood and teenage years. Anyways, now that my racing days are over I'm looking for the next best thing and have been looking into dual sport bikes for over a year. From what I've gathered, a DR 650 will fit my needs best. This would involve more street riding than off road with the occasional 100-200 mile trip. I've looked into buying new and used. The best asking price I've found is for a brand new 2012 model asking 5200 on the sticker. Right now (and I'm not sure for how long) Suzuki is offering 0% financing in these. With that being said, I still would consider buying used if it were, say an 04 and up model. Is it realistic that I could find a used bike that is in good enough condition and priced right to beat the $5200 0% brand new bike? Seems unlikely to me. Opinions?
Find a test ride first. Chances are you won't like it, more or less DR is old fart's bike, and it is, by its design, older than you are.
Chances are you like it, then find a used one, to buy new seems impractical. With tough environment protection acts carbed bikes will end, suzuki will either upgrade them soon or stop them altogether.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote