View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #72397
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkscism View Post
Anyways for a brief introduction I'm a nineteen year old college student in Clemson, SC..... From what I've gathered, a DR 650 will fit my needs best....The best asking price I've found is for a brand new 2012 model asking 5200 on the sticker. Right now (and I'm not sure for how long) Suzuki is offering 0% financing in these. With that being said, I still would consider buying used if it were, say an 04 and up model. Is it realistic that I could find a used bike that is in good enough condition and priced right to beat the $5200 0% brand new bike? Seems unlikely to me. Opinions?
Go Tigers, Beat LSU!

'88 Clemson Grad.

Now that the important stuff is out of the way, I went through the same decision process a little over a year ago and I think the new price at the time here in Charleston was around $5200 as well but don't know what financing was like. I found a completely stock '09 with about 5000 miles on it 2 hours away from here and paid $3800.

If time is not an issue and you have the ability to travel (couple hundred miles) you can probably find a 1-5 year old DR for $3500-4000. I then spent the difference between new and used price on a seat, windscreen, tires, handlebars, exhaust, carb jet, handguards, gas tank, luggage rack, skid plate, engine armor plates,....you get the point!

If your plans are to leave it realtively stock, why not go new. But if your like the rest of us, buy used and save some money to set it up the way you want.