View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Works fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I have a Toyota Tacoma v-6 with the 5 foot bed. You can put a bike in, but the tail gate has to be down. Anybody have an experiences with using a hitch extension or the versyhaul hitch receiver bike rack with the trailer hitch on the back? Any other solutions? The load capacity and hitch weight for the truck are fine with the trailer I'm getting.

The bike is a xt250
I have a versa haul on the suburban and have pulled a lite trailer coupled to it. Everything was fine, but we are talking about a 6x8 trailer with expanded metal floor, sides, and ramp. It had camping gear and such in it.

I believe you could tow a regular 8x16 trailer if you like, but I always worry about the tow vehicle and it's weight too.

Sort of a similar idea: We had a 1 ton dodge with a slide in camper. We towed our 8x16 enclosed trailer behind it using a 4' stinger to clear the camper overhang. That flexed a lot and in the end, we weren't too happy with it.

The Versa Haul is basically the same as the stinger we used, so it really depends on how much your tongue weight is. If you have a 300# bike and another 100#'s on the tongue weight, you would be pushing the limits of the truck/hitch and the Versa Haul despite what the ratings say. If you only have 50#'s of tongue weight, I think you would be fine.

Good luck and hope this helps.
ktm360mx is offline   Reply With Quote