View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #4207
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap Hazard View Post
This is my first experience with a slipper clutch. What a wonderful thing. Makes downshifting such a smooth operation.

The gears shift easily and I had no issues with "false neutrals". Finding neutral at times was an issue. At a standstill, I couldn't get to neutral from second. I'd have to go up from first and then very gently. Having said that, there were three times that I was slowing for a four way stop with no intention of coming to a complete, feet down, stop. I was downshifting gently with no power and it didn't go into first but i thought it had. It certainly gets your attention as you are virtually stopped and giving it gas only gets you engine revving noises. I don't consider this a false neutral. Just be aware that you need to make a firm action between 2nd and 1st. Unless, of course, you want to go to neutral. Then you can't find it. May have something to do with moving vs. a standstill. Not a big issue, will go away as I get familiar more.

Low speed operations are much improved. When I test rode the 2012, I couldn't go thru a school zone with out feathering the clutch. Now, in first gear at idle the bike will happily chug along at 8mph. Make no mistake...the engine still is not happy until over 3,000 rpm and really prefers at least 4,000. 70 mph is a choice between 5th or 6th gear. 5th is peppy and 6th is lugging just a bit.
The not quite happy below 3,000 rpm and the 70mph 5th or 6th means it still has the same gear ratio as before. But it seems it won't be "hunting" at low revs, low speeds. Great.

The neutral thing, I bet it will go away both in terms of your experience with it and when things loosen up a bit.

Thanks for the reports, really appreciate it.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote