View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,161

You replaced 4, 7, 17 and 14. Number 7 was found broken when you opened the box. I suppose you found part of this part, the part still on the pawl, which is # 8, and the rest of the pawl spring was missing? So far do I understand what has happened so far?

It is possible the broken piece of the pawl spring was thrown out with the old oil. Or I guess it is possible it is still in the box. But to replace all three springs you would have to take the shift linkage apart and it seems rather impossible that you missed it.

Still you say you removed the input shaft in a way I wonder, did you leave the other two shafts in the trans? Only the input shaft was removed? So maybe the missing piece of spring was hiding in one of the other shafts and it fell into the shift linkage after you put it back together. This is rather involved, I don't think this is it.

My best guess at this point is that you assembled the shift linkage wrong. One of the springs which you think you have correctly installed is in fact not right. (I'll be honest with you, I've not done many of these so some kind of an expert may have different news for you). Still, no mater what the problem I think you have to take the trans out.

You can probably fix this yourself still. It's part of the learning process to make mistakes and there by learn. Didn't you ever hear, "Learning is painful."?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote