View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
Have you considered using a hitch extender? Here's one with a 3500 lb capacity and a 350 lb tongue weight max. The 18" version should put the pivot point of the trailer tongue behind the edge of your open tailgate.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Curt-...h-All+Products

As someone who has tried all kinds of RV's over the years, and as cute and cool looking as teardrop trailers are, I strongly recommend getting an RV with a bathroom and standing headroom. Have you considered small toy haulers. They come as short as 16 or 17 feet (box length, add four feet for the tongue). Just long enough to stuff a kayak into and will easily accommodate two motorcycles or one ATV. IMHO If you are going to deal with the hassle of parking a trailer, it may as well be one with most of the comforts of home.....

I don't know if you are only interested in a new RV but this is a great time to buy used RV's both due to the time of year and the economy. A small toyhauler can cost substantially less used than a teardrop mostly due to the cool factor of the teardrop.
I know exactly what you mean. I have a 17' trailer, but I want to downsize. I'm finding that the places I want to go these days don't have hookups and I have to pay $65/month for trailer storage. I'd like to get a setup with an attaching tent for a portapotty and cooking in the rain. I did find an outfit that custom builds work camper shells and their prices aren't bad - might be an option. I was also looking at fitting out a cargo trailer as a toy hauler setup, I found another shop that will make them to whatever height you want so I could store it in my garage. I would really dig a toy hauler if I had free storage! The other problem is gas money with my Tacoma pulling a trailer. It's not bad if you're going to stay in one place for a few weeks, but if you're going to be moving around a lot the gas gets really expensive. Sigh, never seems like there's the perfect setup.....

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote