View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
livetosail OP
Wayward Traveler

Oddometer: 130
Arrival

As predicted, today was cold, but clear. Given the first three days of my trip were plagued with precipitation, I was thankful for a day of almost cloudless skies.

Even if the temperature was frigid.

I had the most beautiful drive through downtown Atlanta early this morning. There were few other vehicles on the road, the sun was just coming up, the highways wind in and out of downtown in long smooth curves. It was excellent. I really need to come up with a better way of taking pictures whilst riding because that was a scene I would have liked to remember.

The travel today was about as pedestrian as it gets. I debated making it to the end of the year ride, which would have taken me a few hours out of my way. But given yesterday's test of will I was more interested in getting home to my warm home and welcoming family than I was in socializing... even though I know I missed out on some awesome southern cooking.

Things really seemed to speed up once I hit Alabama.

The roads were clear, the sun was shining, the temperature was slowly but steadily climbing. It was the kind of travels that allow my mind to wander. Very relaxing day trip. I would like to have more pictures to show of this portion of the trip, but to be honest, it was just highway and truck stops.

I hadn't brought my computer on this trip, electing instead to travel light and simply bring an Apple Wireless Keyboard to allow me to write on my iPhone. The downside to this was that I couldn't get pictures or video off of my GoPro camera, which I had mounted on my helmet for most of the trip. So, I pulled off a few interesting shots through Shenandoah that I will post here in retrospect:

Going into the park

Some nice twisties on SR33

I charted the entire trip in order to see just how many miles I traveled over the past four days. Nothing too impressive, but I was happy with the pace.

http://goo.gl/maps/sygvi
A link to a map of the trip.

I can't really say much about the last two hours of my travels. Like so many have said before me sometimes the end of the trip is the dullest. For me I was just enjoying the sunshine and looking forward to giving my family a hug, and doing what I am doing right now: sitting in my recliner in a nice warm house, watching some Sunday afternoon football and wrapping up this trip report.

Thanks to some GPS wizardry my family was able to track my every move, so this is what was waiting to welcome me into the driveway when I arrived:

So, my garage now has two BMW motorcycles, one of which is significantly bigger than the other. I am still amazed that I was able to contact an individual, send him money as a deposit, fly to his home and stay the night, work on the bike in his garage in preparation for a trip, and then drive almost 1,000 miles home through frozen temperatures. I never would have imagined such a thing, but thanks to the wonderful community that is ADV, it has become a reality for me.

Thanks to those who followed my trip. Here's hoping for many more to come in the future.

Cheers.
livetosail is offline   Reply With Quote