View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
crobox's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Taos, NM
Oddometer: 324
A problem I noticed on this bike when I first looked into it a few years ago was that the little "mounting arms" between the carburetors (the arms that hold the two carbs together) were broken. The carbs, which are supposed to be "fixed" relative to each other, were actually free to move about. Not good... especially with regard to the progressive linkage.

I looked up "broken carb mounts" or something to that effect on the main XL600 thread, and I learned that this was not an uncommon problem. However, I didn't really notice any particularly awesome solutions. My first solution, a hose-clamp around the float bowls, was not awesome either. So I came up with the brackets seen in the following two pictures:





In the bottom picture you can see that I have sandblasted one float bowl. At the time of this writing, the carbs have been totally sandblasted and wire-brushed and look like this:



At this point they are done being rebuilt, with the exception of new float bowl gaskets, which I am waiting for in the mail.

I actually took this last picture for the purpose of asking a question... which I have posted here in the XL600 thread.

Cheers,
Christian
__________________
Current Bikes: 2002 XR650L, 1988 Hondasuki KLNX250R
Previous Bikes: 1986 Honda XL600R,Honda XL250R (2 of them), Honda XL600R, Kawasaki KLR600, Honda Nighthawk, BMW K1100LT, BMW R100GS, BMW R60/6, BMW K75, Husqvarna 430XC
Click HERE for my Cummins 4BT International Scout build thread www.christianristow.com
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote