View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Excerpt from an interesting blog article I found recently. Your thoughts on the subject?

".....The vast majority of us who ride prefer to be challenged by nature and rewarded with spectacular vistas and a sense of solitude. Of course, the same can be said for many other forms of outdoor recreation. But if you want to talk in terms carbon foot print, few outdoor enthusiasts have as little impact on the environment as those who ride dual sports.

My single cylinder DRZ400 gets gas mileage that puts most economy cars to shame. On an average day ride Iíll burn one or two gallons of gas. During this ride Iíll normally see a decent representation of other outdoor enthusiasts. Hikers that commute 60 miles to the trailhead and back in their SUV. Campers in an old VW Bus that belches black exhaust as if it ran on soft coal. Mountain bikers unloading their bikes from a V8 powered Toyota Tundra. And of course, the equestrian setÖIíve yet to see a horse trailer being towed by a Prius. With the exception of road cyclists and a few avid mountain bikers, most everyone I see enjoying non-motorized forms of recreation in the forest has consumed more fossil fuels in a single day than I will in several rides. Donít these people care about the environment?

Now that Iím an exponent of environmentalism, next time I receive stink eye from a hiker Iíll feel justified in giving it right back. I realize that nature has a delicate beauty that must be appreciated and admiredÖwhen Iím not busy trying to haul ass through it."

Source: http://dualsportalchemy.com/2012/02/...ironmentalist/
" on an average day ride I burn One or two gallons of gas"... I would have to get 200 mpg for that to happen. It is a good start on my campfire though.