View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
"kit" was $22,000, delivered. I gave a neighbor $100 to unload it with his forklift. I added 5 windows from Lowes ($250) and cement floor, 5.5"thick with fiber reinforcement ($6500). I had the local HS electric shop class wire it ($800), outlets and T8 lights everywhere and a few 220v outlets for the welders.

The wainscot was optional as was the corner trim, 12" overhangs, and gutters/downspouts.

I asked a few local companies to quote a traditional lumber and tin polebarn to similar specs. Most were $40,000 or more, turn key. Cement slab was 4" contractor grade. I just couldn't justify that much money for some of the crap workmanship I saw. Saying that, I have seen Morton buildings that were beautiful, I'd get one of those if I hadn't gone steel.

We did the labor ourselves and I ended up with a much nicer building. It took us about 2.5 months of evenings and weekends, just me and my Wife. Used a small frontend loader and a scaffold I bought on Craigslist.
I'd build another, I learned a lot of tricks that would make the next one easier. Wife says NO WAY!!! ( My Dad is considering one next year)

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
has PAGES of discussion on this.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote