View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #35
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
Has anyone considered porting this idea over to a "cheap" tablet? I'm thinking a 7" tablet could sit on my tank bag and be no more distracting than my 60CSx on the bars. Here's an option for discussion sake: Android 2.2 Tablet Cortex A8 Touch Screen Support Flash Bluetooth Gps Wifi

Done, $112 CyberNav with Orux. Cheap enough to be near disposable, and awesome with the kinks worked out. Review

The biggest problem is the screen as (so far) cheap generally does not equal sunlight-readable. My answer to this was custom high-contrast maps (near black and white) and a sunscreen. Of the two, the high-contrast is the most important.

Oh, and yes, OSM data and my tracks through JOSM (map editor), through Maperative to generate my very own tile-set (high-contrast, thick lines), through MOBAC to generate Oruxmaps. Yes, Orux configuration is crazy, but awesome when you get it right. Yes, the multiple learning curves of the above are crazy, but I am very, very happy with the results.

I've been meaning to do a write-up on the above... but then I've been meaning to do a lot of things these days,

David...

FixerDave screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 09:28 PM
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote