View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #56
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Anders, last year the rules explicitly mentioned that if you don't finish a day you may still race the next day. I certainly assume norra will still do this but I didn't see it in the rules.
Yes, of course. The interpretation is simply "since there isn't a DNF penalty listed for it, you can't get a DNF for it".

Quote:
Also one thing that bothered me a bit last year was somebody who had issues on a stage and took longer than the bogey time would get their actual time, then somebody who failed to finish that stage and took the bogey would get a faster time. Seems fixing issues and finishing should be rewarded.
I agree... but. ;) Having that kind of a rule would lead to situations where racers would, in the field, elect to skip final controls of stages for "strategic" reasons. I put strategic in quotes because there's not going to be a huge difference between getting a 9 hours stage and a 12 hour stage, when everyone else did it in 2.5 hours. However, skipping controls leads to a big tracking problem on the race staff's end. It's the unintended consequences of those sorts of rules that are the problems.

Quote:
Didn't make a difference in the standings but certainly could some year.
If we divide the competitors into two groups, "lucky bastards" and "survivors", this scenario won't effect the "lucky bastards" who manage to complete the course without large incidents. They'll make up the top half of the field. It's extremely difficult to make a rule set that provides a very solid and correct set of operational rules for the L.B.s while simultaneously being optimized to handle the philosophy of what we would like to encourage in behavior for the survivors. It generally ends up with complicated verbiage and reasoning that's not very clear, leading to loop holes and letter of the law versus spirit of the law confusion.

Hey, I owe you a call too... around tomorrow? :)

Anders