View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #6297
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt09 View Post
I just completed the install of an FMF Q4 muffler and the Kientech jet kit on my 2004 DR200. I also made the airbox mod. I ordered the muffler along with the jet kit by telephone from Kientech. Kientech gave very good service and the parts were here within a few days.

A few observations:

There was a small ding in the side of the FMF muffler. Since it is hidden under the side cover, I decided not to complain about it.

I was surprised that there is no pipe clamp on the front portion of the FMF pipe. It is a fairly loose slip fit onto the head pipe and relies on high-temp RTV for a seal. Not quite as well engineered as the stock muffler clamp setup IMO.

The right side panel gets reinstalled with a spacer and longer screw furnished by FMF. This simply pushes the side panel out further than the factory location. Not a highly engineered solution IMO.

The FMF pipe is very loud. I like a nice exhaust tone, but I was surprised at the increase in sound level. It really has a "bark."

Interestingly, the FMF directions state that the muffler is designed to be used with the factory carburetor jetting!

The jet kit installed with few problems. Be careful as the float bowl screws and bonnet screws were VERY VERY tight. I stripped the head on one bonnet screw and had to hack-saw a slot in it to fit a flat blade screwdriver.

Cold start is greatly improved. Much less warmup required. My seat-of-the-pants road testing shows that the low and mid-range power and responsiveness might be a tiny bit better, but at wide open throttle in 4th and 5th gear, the bike had a intermittent hesitation. Top speed was about 5 mph slower! I ended up putting the stock main jet back in: hesitation gone.

There was no startling performance increase with this installation. Cold start and warmup is much better, with possibly a little bottom and mid range boost. The FMF pipe, like most aftermarket performance parts, almost hits the mark, but fit-up is not as good as factory.

Bottom line for me is that it was a few hundred dollars wasted. Any performance gain is very small, and the FMF pipe isn't as well engineered as I had hoped, and a little too loud. My advice; get just the fuel screw mod from kientech which will cure your cold start/warm-up problems, and have them mod your muffler which will give you a little nicer tone.
Interesting.

Can't address the loudness of the FMF; I like the sound of mine.

Having a dent in it, out of the box, is troubling; I would probably have filed an insurance claim with the carrier. I doubt FMF would ship you one in that condition.

The midpipe to head pipe connection is pretty standard for aftermarket pipes; most don't even suggest the high-temp gasket goo. The expansion of the inner (headpipe) vs the outer (midpipe) is usually all it needs to seal for stainless. I didn't us any sealer, and if it leaks, I can't detect it.

As for the sidecover: what would you have considered a 'highly engineered solution'? The supplied spacer and longer bolt seem to me to be an excellent, efficient, and simple solution. Installed, it is virtually unnoticeable, blends well with the contour of the pipe, and has lasted a long time on my bike with out any adverse effects. What could be better?

The pipe weighs several pounds less than the stock, iron beast that it replaced (which used/needed a clamp at the headpipe, because of the tendency to rust out). Mine was rusted out all along the seams, and rattled like a bucket of marbles, casting a harsh light on its internal condition as well.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but the Kientech kit gives you the parts to tune the bike for your particulars. If you are at high altitude, you may not need to increase the main jet. In any case, you WILL need to adjust the needle height, the pilot screw and make sure your float is set properly to get the optimum tune. It's time-consuming to get the desired result, but there are literally dozens of guys here who have used those parts to good effect...

Blame Suzuki for the crappy float-bowl screws; EVERYBODY who takes the bowl off uses Allen (internal hex) screws to replace the crappy stock ones. And it seems like it's always just ONE of the stock screws that won't come out...

Sounds like you expected pieces from three different vendors to all bolt together, and increase power without any effort beyond tightening the bolts...not likely.

I have all the above mods; I was satisfied after about five or so hours of tuning and adjusting, but decided that I wanted a bit more top-end. So, I installed the Hotcams bumpstick. This time, it only took me about three hours to tune it (after a couple of hours to install the cam). Eventually, I needed to go back to the stock main jet, and adjust the needle differently, as well as moving the fuel screw quite a bit. Different cam lift/duration, different airflow characteristics. It's way faster than before, but with a small drop in low-end, as expected.

Why not take the time to tweak things a bit. The side cover and spacer will grow on you...
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote