View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzbytes View Post
Sinned,
Thank you for a very thorough description - I'm motorcycle licensed in US, and can get international license without much effort.
Internal Driving Permit [IDP] (it's not a license and should always be produced with the Drivers License the International Drivers Permit was issued against, when requested) is pretty much useless in mainland China. There also other countries that are also not signatories and consequently do not recognise nor able to issue IDP's.

Quote:
I'm living outside the inner circle of Shanghai - Pudong out near Century Park.
You will need to check if that falls within the A/B plate or the outer C plate areas. I haven't lived in Shanghai for more than 7 years now, so I'd hate to steer you wrong with out of date info. The rules differ remarkably from one place to another. China is full of little kingdoms and differing rules and laws.

Quote:
With regard to simply running errands and such in the greater area, what are the requirements for a lower displacement bike?
It used to be that <49cc scoots were classed the same as bicycles and could be ridden in cycle lanes and designated roadways in SHANGHAI. Again this was the way it used to be more than 7 years ago when I lived in Shanghai, so check as rules may have changed. At the time, with those rules in place those types of scoots with that capacity engine one wasn't required to have a Drivers License. Again I have no idea if that rule has been changed.

Quote:
Thinking we'll just take our major riding trips outside of China, and simply buzz around here on a standard with 100cc or so................... If I understood some locals correctly small displacement (100 and under) are treated like bicycles - no license required. When I asked if there were issues of licensing, or purchasing gas, etc, they advised that small displacement is no issue.
Please be highly sceptical of any information "the locals provide, much of it is either incorrect, BS or just provided on the basis that you being a foreigner - the local providing the information assumes and thinks, the rules will probably not apply to you, or that you should not worry about it, since you will likely not get into trouble. Those days are long gone. Like I commented above, there was a rule about lower displacement engines at the time, but you'll need to check. The place to check that would mychinamoto.com - loads of well informed riders on the website, with quite a number in Shanghai. You will get accurate info there.

Quote:
Thanks in advance - missing being on 2 wheels of any size.
Grab yourself a MTB just to get a feel for the traffic flows and how the road rules are implemented in the "field"
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote