View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC View Post
In the United States, Kymco distributes Kymcos, Honda distributes Hondas, Yamaha distributes Yamaha, etc. SYM does not distribute in this country, and if you look at most of the other brands that operate(d) that way, Hyosung, TGB, Adly, SYM etc, it usually doesn't work out for the owner in the long run. PGO, via Genuine, is probably the glaring exception. Manufacturers can usually weather market fluctuations, and most distributors can't or don't want to. Nor do they tend to stock parts for models they don't currently sell. Being able to buy a belt and rollers online and oil at the auto parts store for a model that is currently in production is not the same as being able to buy a water pump, crankshaft, CDI or head assembly five years down the road.
Ah, ok- I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying. I guess my only thought on this is that being the manufacturer doesn't necessarily guarantee continuity either- look at Piaggio abandoning the US back in the 80s. Your point though is well taken. And in fact one of the reasons I held off on SYM was to see if they would establish a wider dealer network than what they've got to help ensure longer term success.

Kymco certainly appears to be going into a major dealer expansion. I've just not seen it make it's appearance in my neck of the woods....
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote