Originally Posted by swimmer
Will the US-5 work as a tank bag on something like a wr250r? Just wondering if that tank strap setup is workable on something with such a small tank.
Yup. It will work. However, with compact bikes with pronounced filler caps or breather pipes, tank bags are always going to be a bit of a compromise. The US Tank base plate can be fitted over the filler cap without any issues (the rear straps have quick-release fasteners, so the whole thing can easily be flipped out of the way when gassing up). However, there is still the potential for it to encroach into seat space. Whether that is an annoyance depends on your preferred riding position.
Without knowing your precise requirements, in the interim, I'd recommend one of the following options:
- Try the US Tank. If it doesn't work out how you want it to, you can always send it back for an exchange or refund (Inmates are the only ones allowed to destroy the packaging and still return the gear ). Let me know if you want to go down this route so I can include a set of Loop Straps, which replace the standard Velcro straps to enable attachment to the frame on bikes like yours.
- Grab a set of Rack Loops and tail mount your gear.
- Have a look at the Overlander 30. Obviously, this requires a bit more investment and panniers aren't for everyone, but it works well on the WR.
- Bolt a US-5 directly into both of the side panels on your bike...
- Or consider something along the lines of this alternative double US Tank pannier 'sling' set up:
I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info.