View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #34
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAlazzurra View Post
If we want to sequester carbon one of the best things we could do would be to clear cut all the old growth forest and use the wood in some type of permanent structures. Replace the old trees with fast growing species that pull a bunch of CO2 out of the atmosphere. This solution rarely gets discussed because it sucks.
What "old growth forests"? We cut them all down back at the turn of the twentieth century.
Cutting down all the trees and replacing them with fast growing trees? The timber industry already does this...for their profit.
Personally, I've never heard of this solution.
Your talking solely about air pollution. Scrubbers on all factory smoke stacks would be a good start for that.
What we are talking about, and I think the person who wrote that blog is mistaken with is...

Quote:
Most of the carbon footprint emissions for the average U.S. household come from "indirect" sources, i.e. fuel burned to produce goods far away from the final consumer. These are distinguished from emissions which come from burning fuel directly in one's car or stove, commonly referred to as "direct" sources of the consumer's carbon footprint.[4]
The blog is focusing on direct sources and not taking in the whole picture, hence my original comments towards the blogs author.

Quote:
Ways to Reduce The Carbon Footprint

The most common way to reduce the carbon footprint of humans is to reduce, reuse, and recycle. This can be done by using reusable items such as thermoses for daily coffee or plastic containers for water and other cold beverages rather than disposable ones. If that option isn't available, it is best to properly recycle the disposable items after use. When one household recycles at least half of their household waste, they can save 2,400 pounds of carbon dioxide annually[23][unreliable source?].
Another easy option is to drive less. By walking or biking to the destination rather than driving, not only is a person going to save money on gas, but they will be burning less fuel and releasing fewer emissions in to the atmosphere. However, if walking is not an option, one can look into carpooling or mass transportation options in their area.
Yet another option for reducing the carbon footprint of humans is to use less air conditioning and heating in the home. By adding insulation to the walls and attic of one's home, and installing weather stripping or caulking around doors and windows one can lower their heating costs more than 25 percent. This helps because it reduces the amount of energy needed to heat and cool the house. One can also turn down the heat while they are sleeping at night or away during the day, and keep temperatures moderate at all times. Setting the thermostat just 2 degrees lower in winter and higher in summer could save about 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide each year [24][unreliable source?].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_footprint

Alright, I've got a beer calling me.

Happy new year all you FF's!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote