View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
KaHOnas OP
One big piston

Oddometer: 397
I'm new here and I don't have a hack...

...but I really, really want one. I was looking at vintage BMW hacks when I was deployed in '09, drooling all the while. I couldn't afford what Blue Moon Cycle wanted for some of them but, man, were they pretty. I'm still gathering information about what's out there so when I finally do make the jump, I make an informed one.

I live in Chattanooga, TN. I know of nobody around here who has a hack so I have nobody to bounce questions off of. I guess I'll just throw out all my questions here in hopes that I can learn a bit more.

First, how difficult is it to turn a motorcycle (such as a new Triumph Bonneville) into a hack? If I were to buy the sidecar, would that be all I'd need, or do I still need to buy the frame, wiring, etc?

Second, I had read somewhere that a leading link front fork is better to have with a sidecar than a standard telescopic fork. Is this true? How important is it? And, say I were to add a sidecar to the above-menioned Bonnie, who could I get that suspension from?

Third, I've never even operated a hack. I've been a bike rider since I was 14 but never had a sidecar attached. I know it's different, but is there any suggested reading about the dynamics involved? Does the MSF do a special sidecar class or am I just thrown onto the road to learn on my own?

Fourth and last question, do hacks really kick as much ass as I think they do? I'd love to go for a ride through the country here in TN with my wife on the back and my son in the car. It just sounds like a blast.

Thanks all!

This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
It's not an adventure unless you lose your pants.
KaHOnas is offline   Reply With Quote