View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #93
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoc View Post
From what I have seen, most of you could stoip eating for a day and lose that ten pounds; thne you could carry a 14 lb. tent like mine...
Ha ha, I was talking with a mate about this when we were out walking yesterday. I am 6'2" and he is a shade over 6'7". Neither of us is what you'd call morbidly obese, but neither could be classed as "underweight" either.

We were talking about going really ultralight and the massive spike in cost you get to shed the last few grammes of weight on gear, without sacrificing comfort/durability. We agreed that we could both, if we really wanted, easily shed 10kg (20 pounds) without being dangerously undernourished and then carry whatever the hell we wanted. There's also the fact that as I'm reasonably large/strong, when I'm hiking carrying a 15KG pack, rather than a 12KG one, is no great hardship for me. Similarly, my F800GS doesn't complain about the extra weight when I'm on the bike.

I primarily focus on packing small, rather than just light. A weight carried close to the COG (either on your back or on the back of the bike) feels much lighter than the same weight in a bulky package three times the size. Your agility/handling takes a real hit with larger (sized) loads. Stuff sacks are your friends and ensuring that there is no "Dead Space"* in your luggage helps keep things manageable.

*For example, don't have your saucepan/cooking pot combo 'hollow' and full of air; make use of that space by putting your firelighting kit, head torch, spare t-shirt etc. in there to fill up the space.