View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #114
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Oh no, a tent conversation. That's right up there with oil I suspect. Regardless, a 2 person tent is a good choice, unless you spring for a high qualilty ultralight but relatively roomy 1 person job like the Big Agnes Copper Spur. I bid on one of those this evening on Ebay, but lost it. I'll keep looking and try to get one for under $300.

I'll opt for a room when available, but when camping I have enjoyed my Marmot Limelight 2. Easy to set up, and inexpensive. You can spend a lot more, but this is a pretty good tent and several friends have them as well. Huge number of choices in this size, and prices as well. A side opening tent is preferable to my way of thinking. No crawling over your sleeping bag. Just sit up, unzip the side, and away you go. Much easier to get things arranged in too.

Size and weight really count. The Copper Spur is less than half the weight of the Limellight 2, and packs much smaller. I'll be on the CAM1000 this summer and want to really condense and lighten my load. My Marmot and Exped mat are just too big and heavy, although they are very comfortable. Mat wise I will be using a Neo Air or my son's Klymit Static V, which pack into about 1/3 or less of my Exped Synmat 9. The former are 2.5" thick and the Exped is 3.5", very comfortable, but pretty heavy.

That's my 2 cents, and worth about that.....
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote