View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
Tinker1980 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Ow, my Pride -or- Offs that didn't hurt.

Had a thought for this a while back... I do hope nobody else has done it. If so, feel free to delete, ridicule, and taunt until you feel I've learned something.

Ever had a wipeout that was spectacular, but you somehow managed to escape unscathed?

It happens from time to time, I'm sure. I've been riding off-road for 12 years, on the road for 10, and I'm so fortunate as to be able to say, I've never dropped my bike on the road while it was moving. Off the slab, however...

...There have been incidents. And somehow I've managed to get away with it. I can think of two stories that are worth re-telling:

First one happened below the Hudson Lake Dam near Salina, OK. My late friend Reynaldo and I used to ride there every other weekend, him on a 1992 Suzuki RM250, myself on my 1977 Husky WR250. Below the dam there has to be about 50-60 miles of trails at least. We came to a hill that we hadn't ever seen before, a real monster, a good 40 feet and darn near vertical. There was no way in the world we could ever climb this hill on foot, much less on a couple of old dirt bikes. So anyway we are sitting at the bottom of the hill, talking smack back and forth trying to get one or the other to try riding up this collection of roots and rocks the size and shape of suitcases that kinda looked like a trail, when Ray decides to give it a go, and he goes about 1/4 of the way up before carefully backing down. Said I to myself, "That looked easy enough, I'm going to come back and it it in about third gear, knowing I can back down like he did if I have to." Well ladies and gentlemen, I made it nearly to the top, when the chain jumped off the old Husqvarna, and stopped me dead on the trail. This is when I realized that Ray must have used his front brake to back down the hill so easily, and that my 30 year old steed didn't, actually, have a working front brake. I had to do my very best to outrun the bike back down the hill, so it didn't ride me back down the hill. Only damage was the front brake handle, which reminded me from then on that I didn't have a front brake.

Second incident didn't involve my husky, I had my little Polaris. It had brakes, which did me zero good. Riding in Sand Springs, OK where the rock crawlers and big 4x4's would play, friend Dan and I came to another really, really tall and steep hill. (You may notice a pattern.) Must have been 100 feet high and 75 degrees. Nice and smooth though, only a few rocks and roots that looked like you could either ride over them, or dodge them. So I decided to forget earlier incidents, and hammered my Trailblazer up the hill. Got about 2/3 of the way up, and lost all my forward momentum. Back tires slipped and spun. Had all four wheels locked up, and the machine slid backwards anyway, picking up speed. I ended up abandoning ship, and watched the ATV I had purchased two week earlier cartwheel down the hill and land.... in the top of a tree. I don't know if any of you have had to remove a four wheeler from the top of a tree, but let me tell ya it's easier than I thought it would be. Bad idea followed bad idea in my case, I had my partner in crime watch the tree bearing it's one Polaris fruit as I... shook the tree... to attempt to get the ATV down. He was to tell me when it shook loose, so that hopefully I didn't have to test my helmet by dropping a four wheeler on it. I managed to get the little two-smoker out of the tree without killing myself for my stupidity, it fell onto its nose, slammed down on it's wheels, and rolled the rest of the way down the hill. Damage to me, none, damage to the ATV... None. Didn't bend the frame, handlebars, didn't break any plastics or damage the wheels. Ride it to this day.

So, what has happened to some of you?
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote