View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #6531
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Almost forgot....... I do remember that I always had to have the CD's in the CD drive to work with it which was a hassle but from what I remember there were no unlock codes required.

Jon...
I have been using this version of TopoUSA in all my GPS's since 1999. I had no problem loading it into the Montana from Mapsource, and I still prefer it to many newer products because of the wealth of POI's which I am interested in like old mines. My impression is that many newer topo products have deleted POI's which existed in this one. I can't be sure because I don't own any newer Garmin topos. I've gone the free state map route from GPSFileDepot for the 24K maps.

There IS a way to get the data onto the HDD and make Mapsource recognize it:

Install Topo USA normally and make sure Mapsource will read the maps from the CD.

Create a directory called My Documents-My Garmin-Topo-East, West, and (Alaska/Hawaii, if you want them too) or wherever you like.

Copy the CD's image files into those folders as appropriate.

Run Regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Mapsource\Produ cts (in XP)
or in Win7: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Garmin\Map source\Products

Export a copy of \Products for safety.

There will be numbered subfolders there, open each and look at LOC. It will say (drive letter) E:\East...or\West, or \Alaska, etc.

Change this value to the appropriate folder you created above, including correct drive letter. (I left Alaska and Hawaii as E: since I'll never use them. (Right click, select Modify, type in new value))

Voila! The next time you run Mapsource it should read maps from the HDD, which is about 10 times faster than the CD.

This came from http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...howtopic=61356
which also shows the alternate method listed below.

Here is the other method
https://support.garmin.com/support/s...00000000000%7D

Now, once you have gotten this all to work properly in Mapsource, Basecamp should also recognize the maps with no further issues. (I said should ) Apparently you can also do this for Basecamp, but I don't have the correct registry key and I still want both Mapsource and Basecamp on the computer anyway.

I've been happily using this old Topo for 13 years for 95% of my backcountry exploring and don't see much reason to spend money on new. I simply refuse to use autorouting in the backcountry when my life may be at stake....I insist on creating and vettting the routes or tracks at home with the use of varied resources (such as Google Earth).

Hope this helps.

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 03:38 PM
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote