I agree Rawhyde seems pricey, but here's what you get:
- 3 nights, 2 days room and board
- a staff of about 5-6 expert riding instructors (wait till you see what they can do on a big old GSA)
- food is prepared by a gourmet chef
- open bar (as in free beer)
- all day training (and evening access to the over 100 acres), and the instructors are there with you if you want to ride or practice in the evening
- bike rental or help with setting up your bike appropriately for dirt
- small groups of riders, varies, but I'd say 2-3 instructors per 8-10 rider group
- just a really nice, friendly, helpful environment
I'm not trying to be a marketing guy for Rawhyde, and I'm sure the other programs and instructors mentioned in this thread are great also, but its the one I went to and I'm a believer after going there. Just MHO.
Castaic is less than 2 hours from Tehachapi(sp?) and probably about 2 hours from Fresno.
Hope that helps, maybe some other Rawhyde attendees can think of other things.
2013 R1200GS K25 (Camhead) Triple Black
2007 F650GS Dakar
“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon