View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #47
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
From someone who, for nearly 40 yrs, has driven in snow/ice/winter conditions 6-7 months per year on 4 wheels, .......my advice is there's a lot of TERRIBLE advice in this thread, and if you're caught in snow / packed snow or ice .... you need to be fearful of staying upright AND the other guy on the road..It's one thing if your playing around off road, but personally, I'd never ride any bike in traffic.
I agree 100%, and if you live in a country like Finland, snow and ice bound for about six months of the year, you'll agree as well. Even with stud's on tyres, cars must have studed tyres from november to march, riding a motorcycle on icy roads would be fucking lunacy. I have never seen a bike on the road here, in the mid winter month's, it's just not on. Scooter's and mopeds with studs, yes. I've got a friend that rides a scooter, max speed 45kmh, thru the winter, you can hardly call it riding, more like walking, and he drops it at least dozen times a winter. My advice would be, if you don't absolutely have to, don't do it.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote