View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,222
"Ride to Ride Again"

Do you folks ever think about how long we will be able to enjoy dirt biking? (and other forms of motorcycling for that matter). Do you ever think about the risk/reward tradeoffs of dirt riding? I'm in my 50's now and trying to be wise about adventure sports. I want to do them for a long time - "Lord willing and if the creek don't rise!" :)

Was on a trail ride the other day. Adv inmate, "Juniors KTM", was on the ride. He's also an offroad racer evidently can ride fast woods rider based on his racing classifications. But, on our ride he was taking it easy, standing on the pegs most of the time. Looked like a trials rider trying not to daub a foot. After the ride I complimented him on not trying to haul butt on the ride and that he was cleaning most all of the tough sections.

He told me the story of meeting an 87 year old dirt biker that was an awesome guy. Said his advice was "Ride to Ride Again" Juniors KTM - said it's harder to ride slow well than just to ride fast and he thinks riding "trials style" on a dirt bike is one of the best ways to improve riding ability anyway. Don't get me wrong, he was not riding super slow. He was just going slower that he could have and cleaning sections.

I like this approach to the sport and think it can extend our dirt bike riding careers - thoughts?

mikem9 screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 09:45 AM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote