View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #14103
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,735
[QUOTE=justcountry04;20381266]Hey all Im looking at a used 89 Transalp locally, I go to see it on Friday. The owner says everything works, decent shape, 31,000 miles on the odometer. he's asking 2,200 OBO USD. Ive seen pics of it and it looks good, im just hesitant to know if parts are available in the US for decent prices. I had a bad experience with an NX250 a few years ago and how a few minor part that broke the bank. Any input would be great

The smartest thing you could do is bring someone along who is familiar with Transalps and let them evaluate it for you. Most all sellers claim their Transalp is in excellent condition but I sure find plenty on these 23 year old bikes that at the least is not up to date service wise. If you don't know what you don't know then the bike must be in excellent condition right?.

Since finding someone who is familiar with these bikes is unlikely perhaps then bringing along a knowledgeable mechanic would be your best bet.

I can give you a long list of things to look for but it is no substitute for basic understanding of these bikes. Just use a critical eye over the entire bike, check the oil first, is it clean, is there any even on the dip stick, you check it with the eingine warmed and in a vertical position, not on the side stand.

Check the chain for free play, it should have about 1 3/8" free play, if it is tight then the coutershaft wear might me a legitimate concern and something to take a more serious look at. The bike should start very easy from a dead cold engine. The over grossly exaggerated concerns about the CDI failure should not stop you from buying a Transalp. People seem to forget that many of these bikes still have thier original 23 year old ignition modules, of course they will go bad but replacments are easy to find and I have not heard of any early failures once they are replaced.

The basic test is of course riding the bike but since you have no reference point you are at a disadvantage. It should run very smooth with no outstanding issues such as noises, knocking sounds, transmission should shift smoothly, test all the electrical switches for proper functions.

Size up the seller, did he buy it just to resell, has he owned it a while, question him on the service history, does he sound like he knows what he is talking about? Ask him if he replaced the spark plugs, if he says he replaced both of them then he does know much about his Transalp, they have 4 spark plugs.

For a well kept Transalp with 31K miles it should feel like a new bike. Beware if the original clutch is still in there then you can count on being the guy who will replace it.

mas335 screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 11:45 AM
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote