View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #51
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
Yeah, I'm with you there... no matter where it comes from as long as it is of good quality... I guess I was stereotyping- forgive the indiscretion.
BUT parts quality still remains a BIG question for me (IF I were to consider buying a resto).
I hear you too. It would be much more convenient if there were some sure-fire method of determining quality levels before laying down our hard-earned cash. As things stand, I haven't found it yet either . . .

I completely restored my R90S almost seven years ago, and in the course of the restoration I bought stuff via the interweb from Australia, the UK, the USA, Germany and the Netherlands. Some stuff was OEM, while other stuff was aftermarket such as S/S mufflers, the seat, alloy indicator bodies, S/S indicator mounts, enamel badges, S/S wheel spokes etc. I found that everything fitted together and worked as advertised. By sticking to mainstream vendors and brand-names where possible, I believe that most of the risk was averted.

And, more importantly, I can say that I'm still very happy with the quality of the after-market stuff seven years later.

Incidentally, although I have already stated my preference for original, well-maintained machines, I will also say that there is immense satisfaction to be derived from taking a fully worn-out and completely dismantled basket case and returning it to the road. It is also very rewarding to clock up the miles on a "nut'n'bolt" restored bike. But for that bike to also then be impartially awarded at a classic bike show or featured in a bike magazine article can be only described as the cream on the cake.

"Don't worry, it's not loaded."
last words of Chicago's Terry Kath before shooting himself in 1978
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote