View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #191
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
What's the word on tires? Both choice, numbers of spares, tubliss. I'm getting some new wheels built by woody and I need to get rim width dialed.

You'll want sticker tires at the start. You'll need a spare set and the club will haul them for us. Most of us will use good quality DOT knobby's. Some will use a more street oriented dirt tire in back like a Scout of Mefo.

Figure changing the rear in the hotel parking lot in Dawson or Fairbanks. Probably change the front around Whitehorse on the way back to Seattle.

In 2010 I made the whole trip on a set of Mefo Explorers, but the front was just terrible in the mud, so I won't try that again. It ruined a good part of the South Canol road for me having to creep along in the slop, wobbling from rut to rut for 130 miles. .

I don't know what to suggest for rim sizes, but if you ride that cool Kawi you are building, I'd probably select a rear rim similar to the large adventure OEM wheels. Maybe a 3.5 (140X17) or 4.0 (150X17) in back and a 21 inch front rim that would support a 90/90 tire. The BMW 800GS might be a good model.

Large powerful singles like my 690 wear a 140x18 rear and a 90/90 21 front. Smaller singles wear a 120 or 130 rear. The major benefit of the smaller tires is ease in spooning and price.

I don't think anybody ran the tubliss insert.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote