View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #2145
Mugwest

Oddometer: 6,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
Photobucket
Well somebody needs to step up to give props to the pig riders, and perhaps inject some useful counterpoint.

We all get a good laugh at Touratech-kitted behemoths that rarely venture off the tarmac. It's an old joke here. And not an invalid joke: 1200GS is the new Harley in parts of the US

But let's remember that every bike in Walter's entourage here is modified and improved (extra tanks, top-shelf suspension, Nav gear, aux lights, custom racks, custom belly armor, etc etc etc) to a monetary extent that most readers here would find prohibitive to replicate.

We laugh at dude's Touratech-farkled 1150GS Adventure, but i'd wager he has less $$ in that farkled pig than any of the Sibirsky riders' individual machines. Hell, it looks in that pic like he still has the stock front shock

I am fully on board with "light is right" in this kind of travel, and i would rather have any of the Sibirsky bikes than a big pig in this riding/terrain profile any day.

I just think a guy taking an off-the-rack GS pig and adding some farkles and getting out there in the world and not giving a second thought to fuel pumps etc is worthy of a little more consideration

If my big fat oilhead GS were the only thing standing between me and Mongolia, i sure wouldn't sit at home

Mugwest screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 08:00 PM
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote