View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #894
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,399
Semuc Champey

Semuc Champey.......maybe the best GS road in the world with a beautiful treat at the end
People say it is the highlight to see in Guatemala
I heard about it by fellow travelers. The Lonely Planet says it is the prettiest place in Guatemala. So I decided to check it out. I found a nearby city in my GPS and set out to see this place for myself.
The highways in Guatemala seem to be in better shape than in Belize but not as nice as Mexico. But Guatemala has less signs to make sure you are heading in the right direction.
Things were going well and then the road turned to dirt. And that was ok but then the road became more narrow and more rutted. And even that was ok, but then it began to rain and get slippery. And that was not ok. In fact, I wasn’t even sure I was going the right way. The road was not on my GPS but it showed I was at least heading in the right direction. The wide dirt road turned in to a single lane dirt road and that was a bit unnerving considering that I was sharing that lane with an occasional truck on the road. Then out of nowhere, I get to a busy little village and the road came to an end. Actually the road continued thru the town but there were shops set up right in the middle of the street. I thought I had made a wrong turn. I asked a kid and he told me to ride right thru the town market. There was just enough room for a motorcycle to pass but not the smallest of cars. So I set out riding thru the village and their market. It was tight, but after a quarter mile, I made it to the other side. And on that other side, several transport vans were waiting. I am guessing that people traveling thru would have to get off one van, walk thru the town and get on to another van to continue their journey. It didn’t make sense, but there was no other explanation. I was just happy that I made it thru as I wouldn’t want to back-track on that windy, wet mountain road. After about 10 more miles of dirt road, I get to the junction with the dirt road to Semuc Champey. It stopped raining at that point and the road was dry. It went thru a beautiful green, lush valley. The road was a bit rocky, but it was a fun road for the GS. After about 8 miles, I get to the village of Lanquin. After here, the road became more rugged and steep. It was still fun for the GS, but I was hoping it would not get any worse. After about 6 more miles, I dropped in to a canyon when the eco village of Semuc Champey is located. I found a hostel to camp, right on the river. It was perfect! I was on this big high after that exhilarating ride in. I felt like this GS was going to take me anywhere.