View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #895
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
Semuc Champey

The next day was my birthday. I signed up for the all day tour which consisted of a 45 minute hike up the mountain to a view point, swimming and jumping in to the pools which Semuc is famous for, exploring a nearby cave and then tubing down the river. And it was a bargain at $20.
The pools are created because the river flows underground thru a cave and the unique water color come from the limestone. We spent over an hour playing in the water, sliding down natural water slides and jumping in the pools. That was lots of fun but the cave was even better. I have been in lots of caves but I have never been in one quite like this. The entrance was like many other caves but this one was relatively flat inside. It is basically just an underground river. There were places in the cave where the water was ankle deep and places where you would have to swim. The guides said that they explored the cave back to 7 miles in with no end in sight. We had to climb up waterfalls with ropes and ladders. And some of the pools were deep enough to dive in to. And all the light in the cave was provided by candlelight. It was truly awesome. Sorry, I don't have any pictures from inside the cave. It turns out my waterproof camera is not so waterproof afterall. So instead, here's a couple of shots of me!