View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #558
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Any of you Nelson guys go to the street racing? I didn't even realise it was on. is it run down in the Port?
Yeah, I spent the day flagging at turn 5 'cos they had some no-shows... best seat in the house, almost. The day prior I got to poke & prod half the bikes while scrutineering. You get a better look then than while getting whiplash standing on the front straight . The bikes overall were much better presented this year, with fewer fails and for less significant issues. Last year we had a couple of people that should've known better, and a couple of bikes that had never been prepped for racing previously so were quite lacking in the basic race safety items.

The racing seemed a little subdued this year, but then again I never saw turn 1 which is always action-packed. Even the dicing for position round turns 4-5-6, the bikes were one or two lengths apart at best, usually further.

A couple of interesting modern bikes were an F650CS with lots of foreign parts and a fair bit of custom fabrication, and a pair of Honda CR500-based motards with proprietary 600cc big-bore kits ex-USA. One chap said his was doing 93rwhp and 205km/h down the straight at one of the bigger circuits. That's a lotta ponies and a lotta hanging on to a motocrosser!! That raw power didn't help them much on the short tight Nelson circuit: they were circulating around 5th place or further down the order.

You must be new in town; it's been run for 27 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote