View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #1154
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,010
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I actually got pulled over by a transit cop. The locals flash their lights to let you know they are ahead so I was going the speed limit of 100kph and hadn't passed anyone on the yellow line in his line of sight, so when he motioned for me to pull over I waved and kept riding as I always do.

It was a slow day and not much traffic and I figured he'd let it slide, but no. Five miles later or so he caught up to me on his motorcycle and pulled me over. Pointed to his transit police emblem on his chest and told me I should have pulled over.

I laid into him with the fact that a lot of my Gringo friends had warned me about the corrupt cops in Panama, and that it was muy malo por turismo. He asked for my license and passport and I told him no way. I told him about all the photos of corrupt transito cops on the internet, y no es necessario to show your passport to a transit cop. And there was no way I was paying a mordida. And i would be happy to follow him into Santiago and take it up with his superior. Yada yada yada.

He gave up pretty easy. Looked at the signatures on my tank and I told him they were mis amigos de moto ..
Hola Senor Juan,

I am so proud my signature on the tank helped avert the bad charms.
If I get to ride south, this excerpt of your post will be printed and made part of my emergency procedures manual.
I am printing the signed tank picture and posting it in my garage.

Best,
Vic