View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,600
I'm 55, been riding off and on, mostly on, since I was 12. Had local dealerships sponsoring my road/drag/motocross racing habit for a few years, and had a blast. Bought myself a KTM 990 for my 51st birthday, an upgrade from my KLR 650. Loved that bike, flogged it mercilessly at times.
But: Like the poster above, I found the bike occasionally getting ahead of me. I'd be reacting to the bike instead of having fun, aware that I was riding a dangerous edge. Had that feeling a few times too often, and sold that big beauty before it killed me.
Riding a 650 Dakar now, works great on the highway though I trailer it for longer trips. I'm more comfortable flogging this bike than I was the 990. Mrs1911fan has one too, and she's a dirt noob, so we take it easy.
My racing days are long gone. I ride to have fun; some days that's faster than others. Some mornings I get bad vibes and take the cage. But I plan to keep riding as long as I can, so I find myself overall more cautious than I used to be. Or than I need to be, sometimes.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 11:33 AM Reason: to/too
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote