View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
It doesn't look like trials boots really provide any foot protection though. If anything a good pair of work boots provides more foot protection than a trials boot. So in this case you would have been better off in an MX boot or steel toed workboot.
You're right that trials boots don't offer the protection of a MX boot. For me, it was about finding the right balance between feel & protection. I have Sidi Crossfire MX boots which offer tons of protection but simply do not offer enough feel to be any good for trials. The Gaerne seems to be the boot of choice for many US riders, but I felt like the Alpinestar offered a little bit more protection. I have been using them for a year or so now and have no complaints.

I wasn't really sold on the need for trials boots early on, but I have learned that the feel is critical. I think good work boots are fine to get you started, but they don't offer as much shin/calf coverage or peg feel. MX boots are also OK to get you started (some of the low-end models are probably better for trials) but again limit feel way too much.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote