View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #210
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Urgent: Help prevent trail closures in the Carson! (x-post)

X-post.

This is more dual sport than trials but we *are* asking for trials areas! And I know lots of NMTA folks also ride dual sport too so please help!

The Carson National Forest, Camino Real Ranger District (south and east-ish of Taos NM neighborhood) has released (very quietly during the holidays) a “Preliminary Environmental Assessment…” that essentially closes all trails and roads in the entire district unless they already have a Forest Service designated number. This means closure of hundreds of miles of undocumented trails to motorized use.

Here's a map of the Camino Real district.

As I'm sure we all know, trails aren't documented because the area used to be "open unless marked closed" so nobody worried about marking a route as a trail but now FS is going "closed unless marked open".

If you have or know anyone who has GPS trail files for ANY trails within this area that you or they don’t want closed, can you please either post in my thread over on the "GPS Tracks Rockies" subforum (linky here) or email directly to Mark Werkmeister for NMOHVA mark.r.werkmeister@intel.com.

Or if you have an ancient 1986 FS map with the cover like this below, can you possibly scan it? Or let me know that you have it and I'll see what else might work.

NMOHVA is thankfully stepping in with their experience on these matters and I'll be forwarding the track files and map (if available) to them.

Comments to the FS are due January 12th so PLEASE post your tracks right away.

Thank you so much for your help!
tilliejacques is offline   Reply With Quote