Thread: 450cc ADV bikes
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #414
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
It's my understanding that there is one paper filter, plus two steel screens that can be accessed externally and need to be removed and checked (fairly) frequently, plus another screen that can only be accessed by removing the clutch cover (I make that 4). If these only need to be checked a couple of times when the bike is new, it doesn't say that in the schedule.

Reading maintenance instructions was part of my purchase research. The 610 valve inspect/adjust procedure directs to remove the fuel tank, both radiators and the header tank for a valve check every 6K miles. If there's a workaround I didn't see it before - Good to know! All of that is easy in comparison to what's required for my GTS - but it only needs a valve check (all 20 of them) every 27,000 miles. The DR needs to be checked every oil change but it can be done in 5 min without removing anything but the two valve covers.

What has been your long-term experience with valve clearances?

How about the purported need to replace camchains every 10K or so to prevent them from eating into the breather valve?
On my TE630 the left (external) screens are one inside of the other and the right (internal) screen is the one inside the cover. Changing the oil including the paper filter element and all three screens in two locations is a 20 minute / 1 beer job including torquing the cover bolts with nothing more extravagant than a $60 Park bicycle torque wrench and a $89 cordless impact driver.

I have not had to touch the radiators outside of loosening some fasteners and tweaking a few things to get the valve cover off. By itself (after the first time) likely a 1-1.5 hour / 2-3 beer job. Just did the third valve clearance check and I have had to change one shim so far.

I am about half way to the recommended cam-chain interval so not worried about it yet, everything looked and felt good at valve check time.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote