View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #52
RenoMoto OP
Rally Navigator

Oddometer: 210
GPX Import Update - Like relationships, its complicated.

Inmates:

Here is some info regarding GPX import from our developer, Paul van Dinther at Planet in Action

Hi Mike, I had a close look at the various GPX files. Some indeed won't import properly. This is due to the fact that the "trk" (track) section is missing in the file.

It appears that some GPX exporters choose to describe the track using the "route" section in the GPX file and some of the files you gave me contain many routes.

It is clear different applications write GPX data in different ways. They are all compliant to GPX but it is such an elaborate scheme that the same information can be described in many different ways. I found three different formats of route data in the sample GPX files.

Right now, only "trk" is implemented.

Rally Navigator will currently only import GPX files that were saved with route data in the "trk" (Track) section of the file, not with route data in the "Route" fields

It is possible to convert Route GPX files to "Track" oriented using GPSBabel

Here is a screen shot of the GPSBabel track converter with the proper windows open to set the conversion from "routes" to "tracks"

I would appreciate if a few of our testers will try this and report back.

Obviously this could be more user friendly, but does give us an immediate answer to the failed loading some of you were experiencing.

We are exploring the capability to import GPX files that are also in "Route" format.

For those of you with extra time and brain cells, here is more info regarding GPX file types and conversion:
GPSBabel - FREE file conversion program

GPSBabel - GPX file type info

GPX: the GPS Exchange Format
Thanks,
Mike
Pics - Moto - Dakar Rally - Rally Mongolia - TAT - F1 - Sports Cars - Crap
Rally Navigator - Create, Print & Share Rally Routes with Google Earth.

RenoMoto screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 04:17 PM
RenoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote