View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #737
lightcycle's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: No Fixed Address (originally Toronto)
Oddometer: 668
Originally Posted by korukiwi View Post
Hi Andi
I noticed to post suggesting you can get paperwork done in La Paz. USA citizens might be able to - kiwis can't.
Waiting to get paperwork sorted in La Paz is far too late for kiwis. And very time consuming and problematic in our recent experience.
Kiwis- and other non US citizens- have to get the paperwork done within 60km of the border crossing i.e. the bike paper work, and especially the 180 day tourist visa. You wont be allowed to buy a ticket for the Pichilingue ferry to Mazatlan without complete paperwork. We were threatened with having to fly back to Tijuana to get sorted. There was a phone number on a poster on the window at the Ferry ticket office that lead us to a solution but It was a hassle and it cost.
All true, except the bike paperwork.

We just did this a couple of weeks ago. We obtained our TVIP in Pichilingue after getting the tourist visa in Tijuana. Only then were we able to purchase a ticket to the mainland.

Things you will need:

- driver's license
- passport
- registration for bike
- tourist visa

Plus we're Canadian, not American. I believe the same rules apply for Kiwis as well. The most important part is getting that tourist card at the border.

A&E, keeping your cervezas cool for when you get down here!
Gene R1200GS
Ride Reports: Ride The World! Indian Himalayas Iceland Europe New Zealand
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote