View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,353
bonding plastic and fiberglass

I am building a project bike and one thing I want to be able to do is extend the seatpan to allow a more comfortable seating position. The seatpan is on the Ninja below and my hand is approx how far I want to extend it. I don't have any idea what type of plastic it is, but its fairly flexible and smooth. I've used adhesive like 3M 5200 before and that stuff seemingly would stick to anything and was a nightmare to get off, nightmare.

Here's about how far I want it to go

Underside

I am planning on making the extension from fiberglass and epoxy but I don't expect the epoxy to stick to the plastic. I was hoping to either mechanically fasten it with rivets maybe or some badass adhesive that will hold the part to the original seat pan yet remain flexible enough to allow some slight movement as you would encounter on a seat.

The extension and original seatpan will be properly supported all the way to the subframe so this is just to hold parts together. Suggestions? Esp from McMaster since I seem to order from there a couple times a week.

Thanks

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote