View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,160
Anyone wear a neck brace on the street?

Been thinkin' about neck braces. At 65 YO (riding since 1957), I've had some "bad" crashes over the years (always ATGATT, both dirt and street) but gear has served me pretty well (12 fractures, though ). These days I ride mainly on the street, and (having just retired) expect to do more ADV touring in the next ten years.

Had a bicycle crash in 1972 in which I sustained a 1 mm lateral shear of C3...about as close to a broken neck as I wanna think about.

Anyway, I've seen dirt riders wear neck braces, but I rarely (like never) have seen any on the street. They exist...anyone here wear one? Or have worn one? I know wearing armor has its limits, but somehow a neck brace (as long as it's reasonably easy to deal with) seems like a good idea. I've searched briefly here, but haven't found much specific discussion (if there is a good thread, please point me there).

Any alternatives to the (fairly pricey) Leatt brace? However, $400 is similar to the cost of a helmet, and if a neck brace prevents a serious neck injury it's certainly worth the $$$.

I'd appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote