Thread: Hawk 8
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #78
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Oddometer: 111
Winter Pants

Okay so I realize this isn't exactly a part of the bike, but I consider it to be an accessory to the bike. Too small of an idea to become its own thread, too much a part of the overall product to be left out entirely, I was handed down a pair of leather riding pants from a friend at work. The leather alone offers enough quality wind breaking to extend my cold weather rides a good bit, but soaks up like a sponge in the rain. Also as they are right now, I have to take my boots off to get in and out of these pants. I should probably just leave well enough alone, but I hate taking my boots off at work, and I don't like the idea of having different pants for rainy vs cold days. I'm a one size fits all kinda guy, and I want one pair of bad weather pants that I can keep strapped to the bike for any occasion.

They're nice pants, from Wilson's Leather. I want to maintain as much of the original style as possible, while molding the function into something a little more vagabond ready.

I'm cutting up the length of the legs so I can sew in a long section of zipper. I'm going to do this on the back side of the pants; I think the front would be easier to get in and out of, but would probably be hard to water proof.

I set out to find 3 layer Gore-Tex fabric by the sheet--and with fine success--but ended up going with a material called Antron. Gore-Tex was going to run about $25 per linear yard, the Antron was on clearance. Rockywoods.com has all kinds of great fabrics for outdoor applications, fasteners and hardware and sealing compounds, but I couldn't find any zippers longer than 7", so it looks like it's gonna be JoAnn Fabrics, or repurposing some Goodwill jackets.
I Am Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote