View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #12
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
Those of us over 40 have a pretty clear understanding that we are mortal. If you are in your teens or 20's, odds are good that you don't get that concept. Should I lower the minimum age to 30?
I am 30. I went trail riding yesterday with a load of riders, most of whom were in their 40s. No one injured, only a couple of dropped bikes. I dropped mine once and managed to pick it up before anyone saw it. Clipped my foot on the (very solid, as it turned out) wall of a rut hard enough that it would probably have resulted in an injury had I not been wearing boots. My pace was below middle of the pack. I only overtook someone once and that was considerably slower and with more space than I was overtaken. I was on a lardy F800GS, most of them were riding small capacity KTMs and Huskys.
I wouldn't say I was any safer or more dangerous than them. So yes, drop your cut off point to 30.

As to "Ow, my pride". I had a spectacular 60mph get-off on the slab where I ended up three lanes and over 100m from the bike. The car driver who stopped to help thought I was dead until I stood up. I was completely unscathed bar some very light road rash, that didn't even need a bandaid and left no scar. I don't have any pics/footage of that.

Best fail I've personally seen with the rider completely unscathed (despite a GS12 catching him in the leg) is this: