View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #30
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
You like "hobby" better?

In the U.S. it is seldom "transportation". Dirt riding is definitely a "sport". There are "sportbikes" just as there are "sportscars", I don't have a problem with it.
It isn't really much of a hobby, either - I suppose home wrenching is, and I suppose planned group rides might be, but taking my bike to work sure as hell isn't. Dirt rides might be a hobby or pastime, but unless you're competing, I don't see how you can call it a sport.

I commute. I like "transportation". You could use "alternate transportation" I guess, but that presumes subordinate status.

If you're riding on the street it isn't a sport (unless you're roadracing illegally, in which case you're a fuckwad and I don't give a shit what you think) any more than driving a car is a sport.

And, to go completely over the line: Anyone who calls (street) motorcycling a sport must not take motorcycling very seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
The industry is far from Doomed. Fucking HD may be, but that has been in process for a while and the sooner the better. Young people are not buying HDs, that is no indication of anything in the rest of the motorcycle industry.
HD isn't going anywhere - there are shit tons of people buying cruisers.