View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #44
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Holly View Post
So back to the android world- I have a co-worker who will sell me his old droid so I can use that as a GPS- workable?

How say ye?

Sure would be nicer than having to buy a new $400.00 Garmin GPS.

Thanks,

BH
It will. I'm not aware of any Android devices that don't have GPS built in (except for the early Kindle and Nook tablets), but it depends more on what you want to do with it.

The only thing that I can't get an Android device to do is give me good, offline, turn by turn directions of my preplanned route.

Offline maps is easy, using a preplanned route is easy, but the only app I have found that does offline, turn by turn of an uploaded GPX route is OSMand and it does it pretty poorly.

If you don't care about this very specific need then an Android device will work fine.

P.S. not all Garmin devices will do that either.

P.P.S. Once you get the device you can download maps via WiFi either using Google maps, OSMand, Oruxmaps, CoPilot, etc. which are all free.

Trimble outdoors used to be good (their trip planning features are top notch), but now you have to buy the app and then sign up for a subscription service to use their trip planning features separately. That screwed all of us who bought the app previously, bastards.

Crafty's app (Dual Sport Maps) is good with some moto specific features and a decent website interface to plan routes, but I believe its a variant of OSMand so try that first to see if you like it.

2013 V-Strom

Thanantos screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 04:18 AM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote