View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #4239
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
Skyhook test.
It's definitely an improvement apparently. But, IMHO the only significant thing they found was the old ohlins rear spring is too soft for 2 up riding, which we all know about. And if you are in the wrong mode for the conditions, I.e. urban mode. Then start riding sporty it adjusts. Seems like for like modes ohlins verses sky hook say in sport mode, almost no difference.

Enjoy
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...da-old-vs-new/

Hey, thanks very much for the link. Have been looking for a copy of that article, had thought it would not be posted online, Very interesting, even if it still leaves me wanting more information.

Seems to me the most interesting aspect was what they didn't say: they didn't say there was any part of their riding where the Ohlins kitted bike was better. Given that Ohlins is good stuff, and that the Multi had some of the better Ohlins bits going, that's significant.

But IMO the other interesting bit was that as you've noted, when in the appropriate mode the Ohlins wasn't any worse, either. At least where they tried it. Suspect the Skyhook system would do better on something really rough, such as a bad gravel road. But that's not the Multi's forte in any case.

So we have the key advantage, spring rate aside, in the point oalvarez makes: with Skyhook, the mode adjustment - and more - is done for you. I've a feeling that will prove more helpful than it sounds over a long day's riding.

Nevertheless, I'm still leaning towrds a 2013 base and perhaps adding the full semi-active kit Ohlins says it will offer this year. It might not be Skyhook but I do like the idea of dealing directly with Ohlins for info, parts, service and troubleshooting.

Will have to learn more about the new KTMs tho. Ducati over here haven't done themselves any favours with pricing: it is looking like the Multi base will cost $2000 more than an 1190 Adventure, and $1000 more than the "R".